Monday, April 7, 2014

Prezi

Working with Prezi has become like second nature to me-and it's only my second time using the tool! This speaks volume to the user-friendly online tool that provides creative templates with which to present information. The website's homepage allows you to create a free account with the option to upgrade with a paid subscription. The template search engine is valuable to a new user because it provides you with templates that other users have designed, which allows you to focus on the information presented. 
I selected the tree template to present my project information for another class. I'd like to continue updating this prezi after the project is completed to present it to my administration. My principal has been very supportive of my efforts to include this project into my curriculum. I think using Prezi is a fabulous and creative way to present to a professional crowd. Initially, I felt this Prezi had too many words, considering our discussion about PowerPoint previously, but the intended audience is adults who seek specific information.

If you click on the picture above, you'll be directed to my Group Leadership Program SU/RBR Cohort Prezi. I followed each "embedding" tutorial on Prezi's website, but was unable to have it play within my blog post. I was able to copy code to a clipboard, but could not repost the code within my blog successfully. You can also click on this link.


And now, for a Power Point versus Prezi discussion. Prezi is a creative and engaging tool to present information to any audience. However seemingly creative, the templates provided do limit the user while designing initial set-up. This is not to say one cannot edit to the extreme within the template or even chose to start a blank template. In the same way a template is limiting, it also provides an excellent place to start. Power Point also provides templates, but on a more basic level, still addressing both sides of the coin. Prezi at times can be too busy, creating an almost nauseous feeling when switching each point. I'm curious if there is a tool to adjust the movement speed within the Prezi. Power Point can be set on a timer or navigated on presenter's cue.  Overall, I think Prezi is the future and seems to immediately capture the audience. That is, if the presenter has taken serious consideration to the wordiness and image choice in the first place.

This activity addresses ISTE-NETS Standard 2 because it provides students with an activity that develops and fosters digital learning experiences. I have 3rd grade students who are very capable of using Prezi with careful guidance. What a fantastic way to have students present their research projects. Standard 3 continues to be addressed by requiring me to push the limits of my understanding and use of digital age technology to represent myself as a innovative professional. Standard 5b is fulfilled because I am taking this tool and leading others in my professional community to develop their skills, share information, and collaborate on new projects.


No comments:

Post a Comment