Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Google Form

This week I worked with Google Forms to create online survey tools that are paper-free, easy to share, and easier to analyze. I chose to create a document that my administrators might find useful, considering our difficult PLC today. Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) are a valuable tool that often get a bad rap for being unproductive and pointless. I wanted to isolate people's opinions of PLCs and their usage in our school and other communities. While I am unable to share my results (yet) because I created this form as a direct result of my PLC today, I am able to share the link to my form. If you'd like to consider your own opinions on PLCs, feel free to click on the linked picture to begin.


While creating this form, I found Google's set up to be very user friendly. To begin, I selected a template from the given list. I then began creating different types of questions to hopefully achieve my intended results. It is valuable to a test/survey creator to spend time thinking about what they want to know and the best way to find it out. Careful question creation and selection make a successful survey. Not to mention, a number of survey participants. The more participants, the more accurate picture you can paint. I used the following question types to differ my form: multiple choice, check boxes, scale, and a longer paragraph response. Depending on what type of question you choose, you'll either get qualitative or quantitative data. Again, question selection is key! There are three ways to share my form with others: by sharing the link via email, sharing the link via Blog Post, or embedding the form within a post. I am still trying to figure out embedding. I made sure the form was accessible to all public when sharing as well.

This activity addressed NETS Standards two, three, and five. I designed a technology rich experience to provide alternate forms of assessments for my "students", in this case teachers. It's hard to find the best way to survey a teacher because the paper form might get lost in the shuffle or the electronic form may be in an email that never gets opened-you roll the dice. I also showed competence in using Google forms to fulfill a need within my school community. This is a great way to communicate information to students, parents, and other peers. I also feel I developed professionally because I selected what I see as a 'problem area' at my school. I feel by creating this form, I too addressed my opinions on PLCs and hopefully created a valuable tool that will encourage my school to improve upon.

Please expect a follow-up post discussing my results.



No comments:

Post a Comment