Thursday, March 27, 2014

Power Points

This week I explored ways to redefine or refine my views and skills on Microsoft's Power Point. I explored a few examples, read some articles, and reflected on my own experiences in Power Point. I thought the article in the New York Times was so interesting. We've all been there. Sitting, yawning, zoning out...on someone's presentation (that they've clearly worked very hard on). And why do they insist on putting you in the most uncomfortable chairs? How does it happen? Are we too focused on getting all the information in an organized, concise, but still able to communicate the important? 

I took these questions and more to heart while creating my power point for my third graders. (eight year olds in case anyone forgot) I wanted to keep the images large and the text small for two reasons-visual cues are great ways to help students remember information/make sense of information and limited text is helpful for my low readers. I did have a hard time with one image from ToonClips(which had overwritten text on the image), but I did not want to purchase the image...and it was just what I wanted. Take a look below:
This was the only image I wasn't completely happy with. Another strategy I tried to use was the idea of contrast. I split a few of my pages in half to draw focus on the text and image for isolated absorption.



The final project is located at the link below:

This project addressed the NETS Standard 2 by requiring me to design and develop a digital age learning experience for my students. Using images opens the curriculum up to learners of all ages and ability levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment